The truth is there are many reasons that people might find it difficult to open up about a mental health problem. Some reasons for this that young people told Newsround include: Worries that people may think you’re ‘weird’ or leave you out. Not wanting to be treated any differently.
How can we make it easier to talk about mental health?
4 Strategies to Make it Easier to Talk about Mental Health
- Silence kills.
- 4 steps to create comfortable conversations about mental health.
- Find Company Mental Health Champions. Share Stories. Get Real.
- Be prepared for and accept the uncomfortable feelings.
- Practice talking about mental health.
- Make it fun and be curious.
- Silence is not golden. Speak up.
Is it OK to talk about mental health?
The state of your mental health affects how you think, feel, and ultimately how you act. It’s crucial that we express these emotions with others on a daily basis. By talking about mental health openly, more people may be encouraged to seek professional help like our Florida residential mental health program.
How big of an issue is mental health?
The resulting disease burden of mental illness is among the highest of all diseases. In any given year, an estimated 18.1% (43.6 million) of U.S. adults ages 18 years or older suffered from any mental illness and 4.2% (9.8 million) suffered from a seriously debilitating mental illness.
What are the challenges of mental health?
Here is a list of some of the most common mental health challenges and disorders experienced by children and youth.
- Anxiety. …
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) …
- Autism Spectrum Disorder. …
- Behavioural Disorders. …
- Bipolar Disorder. …
- Borderline Personality Disorder. …
- Concurrent Disorders.
How can you tell if someone is mentally ill?
Tell the person as much or as little about it as you want. You’re not obligated to tell everyone everything. Rehearse the conversation in your head before you have it – even if it feels a bit strange! It may be important to tell your employer, in case you need to take time off, but you don’t have to.
How do I get better mentally?
How to look after your mental health
- Talk about your feelings. Talking about your feelings can help you stay in good mental health and deal with times when you feel troubled. …
- Keep active. …
- Eat well. …
- Drink sensibly. …
- Keep in touch. …
- Ask for help. …
- Take a break. …
- Do something you’re good at.
Where can I speak about mental health?
Your GP may be the first person you talk to about your mental health problems. If you have a good relationship with your doctor, you may find it helpful just to know there is someone you can talk to about the feelings you are having. Your GP may refer you to specialist services if he/she feels they will help you.
Where can I talk about mental health?
Visit http://www.samhsa.gov/treatment or call 1-800-662-HELP (4357). Your local health department’s mental health division or community mental health center provides free or low-cost treatment and services on a sliding scale.
Why Talking is good for your mental health?
Talking about your feelings can help you stay in good mental health and deal with times when you feel troubled. Talking about your feelings isn’t a sign of weakness. It’s part of taking charge of your wellbeing and doing what you can to stay healthy.
What are the 5 signs of mental illness?
The five main warning signs of mental illness are as follows:
- Excessive paranoia, worry, or anxiety.
- Long-lasting sadness or irritability.
- Extreme changes in moods.
- Social withdrawal.
- Dramatic changes in eating or sleeping pattern.
What are the 4 types of mental illness?
Types of mental health problems
- Anger. Explains what anger is, and how to deal with it in a constructive and healthy way.
- Anxiety and panic attacks. …
- Bipolar disorder. …
- Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) …
- Borderline personality disorder (BPD) …
- Depression. …
- Dissociation and dissociative disorders. …
- Drugs – recreational drugs & alcohol.
What is poor mental health?
Simply put, this is when our mental health is not what we would want it to be. Finding it difficult to manage how we think, feel, act with respect to daily stresses could be a sign of poor mental health.
What is the best treatment for mental illness?
Mental Health Treatments
- Psychotherapy. Psychotherapy is the therapeutic treatment of mental illness provided by a trained mental health professional. …
- Medication. Medication does not outright cure mental illness. …
- Hospitalization. …
- Support Group. …
- Complementary & Alternative Medicine. …
- Self Help Plan. …
- Peer Support.
How can we help those with mental health problems?
There are some general strategies that you can use to help:
- Listen without making judgements and concentrate on their needs in that moment.
- Ask them what would help them.
- Reassure and signpost to practical information or resources.
- Avoid confrontation.
- Ask if there is someone they would like you to contact.
What are the signs of mental health or developmental issues?
- Feeling sad or down.
- Confused thinking or reduced ability to concentrate.
- Excessive fears or worries, or extreme feelings of guilt.
- Extreme mood changes of highs and lows.
- Withdrawal from friends and activities.
- Significant tiredness, low energy or problems sleeping.